random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Islandflyer
Drifting

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Islandflyer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:03 am

Karine wrote:This is so, so sad :(
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/1 ... 69325.html
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Nobel laureate whose novels and short stories exposed tens of millions of readers to Latin America's passion, superstition, violence and inequality, died at home in Mexico City around midday, according to people close to his family. He was 87.
I'm intimately attached to "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (long story).
I read it for the first time when I was a teenager and I can't remember how many times I read it. It's a beautiful novel, that requires patience and efforts but that is worth it.

The first line was enough to catch my attention: "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Does anyone here feels connected to a book, a painting, a movie, etc.?
I heard about this man on the radio this afternoon, Karine, and the story definitely piqued my interest in reading this book. For years I have been influenced by a wonderful story of exploring the islands of coastal British Columbia, a remembrance by Murial Wiley Blanchet; "The Curve of Time". The stories in this book, of a widow spending summers in the Twenties and Thirties cruising the waters of The Inland Passage with her 5 children and a dog in a 26 foot boat, are some of the most evocative and beautifully written narratives of travel, and its affects on the travelers, that I have read. This book is a classic in the Maritime literature of Canada, so perhaps you are familiar with it. If not, I highly recommend it. Her stories of solitude and encounters with wild animals and the spirits of the First nations peoples among the beauty of the then still-wild forests, mountains and waters of this part of the world are inspiring and thoughtful, and for years I hoped to go there in my own boat to experience it myself. I never quite got there, but still think about it a lot. When cruising the San Juan Islands, on the US side, I often thought about her experiences just to the north so long ago, thereby making my own more meaningful. :)

If I were to meet Sarah, I would ask her if she has read this book. I rather suspect she might have, being a "water person" herself.

"Our world then was both wide and narrow- wide in the immensity of sea and mountain; narrow in that the boat was very small, and we lived and camped, explored and swam in a little realm of our own making."-- M. Wylie Blanchet
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am

I've never heard about this book, but it sounds very interesting! It reminds me of a Canadian explorer, David Thompson. This man was working for fur trade companies and he stayed for a while in my town (Terrebonne, next to Montréal) when he worked for the North West Company.
He's probably the greatest map-maker of Canada (all by himself, he made maps of 25% of the country) and he travelled with his wife, Charlotte Small, and their kids. Their union lasted 58 years (it's the longest Canadian pre-Confederation marriage that we know).

About literature, I read a lot of books from France, Belgium, Tunisia, Morocco, and French-Canadian novels (from the province of Québec and the rest of Canada) but there's still a huge "chunk" of literature that is unknown to me. I have to discover it by myself, but if a book is unavailable in French, I won't be the same.
To enjoy a story, I need to fully understand the language and the images created by the writer. My English isn't good enough for that... though it was perfect for the "Baby-sitters Club" novels that I read as a teenager :lol:
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:03 am

Hi guys! I have a problem with my modem in the residence so I won't be able to check the board until Tuesday :roll:
I'm at the library today, so I can get a connection, but it will be closed for the next days (for Easter).
Anyway, I see that there's nothing new for today, so I suppose that I won't miss that much.
Have a nice weekend and don't eat to many chocolate rabbits! :)
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Chapter 6, done and sent! :D 43 pages, ouf! I hope I won't have too much corrections to make on these.
One more chapter to do and only 11-12 days left before I have to give the final version of my thesis to my supervisor.
I hope I'll be able to finish it before so I'll have enough time to read the whole thing again, before the printing. :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu May 08, 2014 2:24 am

Karine wrote:Chapter 6, done and sent! :D 43 pages, ouf! I hope I won't have too much corrections to make on these.
One more chapter to do and only 11-12 days left before I have to give the final version of my thesis to my supervisor.
I hope I'll be able to finish it before so I'll have enough time to read the whole thing again, before the printing. :)
Great, Karine! Bet you will be glad to have it finished. Then you can relax! :) Maybe write a song, "Finished with the Thesis Blues"? :lol:
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat May 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Islandflyer wrote:Great, Karine! Bet you will be glad to have it finished. Then you can relax! :) Maybe write a song, "Finished with the Thesis Blues"? :lol:
I can't wait to be done with the writing, even if after that, I'll take the month of June to prepare the defense (read again, write my defense speach et get ready to answer the questions about my ideas, methodology and references). However, once the thesis is finished and given to the university in its final form, I'm sure I'll feel very good!! :D
My wish is to finish chapter 7 for Wednesday. I'll try to do it :)
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 pm

It seems like there are a few more obstacles on my way to finish my thesis. There was an Internet breakdown in the residence (Saturday to this morning), I had to use a WiFi connection in another building to check my email yesterday... and this morning, I started to get alert on my computer: there's a virus in it! :x I think I'm gonna cry! Why can't I just have a peaceful week to work... :( It's the 3rd scan that I've been doing on my computer: Malwarebytes, RogueKiller and now ESET Online Scanner. I hope this last one will work.
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 am

Karine wrote:It seems like there are a few more obstacles on my way to finish my thesis. There was an Internet breakdown in the residence (Saturday to this morning), I had to use a WiFi connection in another building to check my email yesterday... and this morning, I started to get alert on my computer: there's a virus in it! :x I think I'm gonna cry! Why can't I just have a peaceful week to work... :( It's the 3rd scan that I've been doing on my computer: Malwarebytes, RogueKiller and now ESET Online Scanner. I hope this last one will work.
Are you using XP, Karine? Is it the PCProtect virus, or something like that? If so, it's a tough one to get rid of. That one wouldn't allow me to unstall it from the Control Panel. I had to find the uninstall buried in the Program files to do it, and I still have corrupted stuff on that computer. That was one of the reasons I got a new one with Windows 7. I don't use my XP computer on the Internet at all now. It's just a spare workstation.

Best of luck with it. You might want to consider an upgrade to Windows 7 (preferable to Win 8) or get a Mac when you can. XP is wide open now to threats, since Microsoft stopped support. If you have a recent Restore point you can return to, you might try that. Just make sure your data is backed up. You do have your thesis backed up, right?

Hang in there, Karine! You'll make it. :)

Hope you get it cleared up.
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue May 13, 2014 7:41 am

Islandflyer wrote:Are you using XP, Karine? Is it the PCProtect virus, or something like that? If so, it's a tough one to get rid of. That one wouldn't allow me to unstall it from the Control Panel. I had to find the uninstall buried in the Program files to do it, and I still have corrupted stuff on that computer. That was one of the reasons I got a new one with Windows 7. I don't use my XP computer on the Internet at all now. It's just a spare workstation.

Best of luck with it. You might want to consider an upgrade to Windows 7 (preferable to Win 8) or get a Mac when you can. XP is wide open now to threats, since Microsoft stopped support. If you have a recent Restore point you can return to, you might try that. Just make sure your data is backed up. You do have your thesis backed up, right?

Hang in there, Karine! You'll make it. :)

Hope you get it cleared up.
I'm using Windows Vista and I pay for Nod32 as an antivirus. The name of the trojan appears to be Win32/Sirefef and according to my Nod32 alert, it's an active rootkit in my RAM memory. Nod32 tells me there's a problem, but doesn't allow me to delete that shit!
I have the same problem than these guys: https://forum.eset.com/topic/2459-clean ... ef-trojan/
Yesterday, I did a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy and it found something, but not with the same name (instead of Sirefef, it was called Complitly).
The problem is that rootkits affect the key registry of a computer and I don't want to make any changes in the registry without being sure that I'm deleting the malware.
I also did a restoration yesterday, unsuccessfuly. The alert was still there and is still there this morning. I sent a report to Nod32's team and I hope they'll give me their feedback about that.
Karine

Ellie
Root Admin

Post by Ellie » Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 am

I'm sorry to hear that Karine! I know how awful those things can be. I think I have still a few anti-Trojan programs somewhere, I will try to find them and send them to you. They were pretty helpful when I had a nasty Trojan virus on it :) They're all stand-alone scanners, so no installation needed or anything. Hope it will work!
Ellen
Sarah McLachlan Online - Solaced.info | Solace Elsewhere: My Blog
Member of the Hacking Team

~I just wanna watch you sleep as you lie here beside me, so close your eyes I'll guard the door~