Empirejim
Drifting

Re: What's Next For Sarah

Post by Empirejim » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:57 pm

Best news I got all week. :D

Debdixon

Post by Debdixon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 pm

I was so happy to see Sarah tweet that there will be a new album and tour dates. I wish she would play with local symphonies like she did last year. There also should be a live album coming in the new year.
Deb aka ecstasythrumusic

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:41 pm

i'm really surprised by sarah with this announcement... when we are used to 5-7 year gaps between records and all of a sudden its 2 years... wow! fingers crossed its a proper studio record and not just a live album although i wouldn't be too disappointed if it was. i would be happy if its just a collection of newly recorded acoustic renditions of old songs with new arrangements.

i'm guessing this may be a fall release?
fumbling...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:19 am

chadwick wrote:i'm really surprised by sarah with this announcement... when we are used to 5-7 year gaps between records and all of a sudden its 2 years... wow! fingers crossed its a proper studio record and not just a live album although i wouldn't be too disappointed if it was. i would be happy if its just a collection of newly recorded acoustic renditions of old songs with new arrangements.

i'm guessing this may be a fall release?
She said a few times that she was writing for her new album, with Pierre Marchand and also Matt Morris.
I would love a triple album: a disc of new songs, a disc with a full concert from "Sarah and Friends" tour and a disc of her performance with an orchestra!!
Maybe I'm dreaming! :D
Karine

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Maybe so, but dreams DO come true at times. :D

Sweetfear
Building A Mystery

Post by Sweetfear » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 am

Karine wrote: I would love a triple album: a disc of new songs, a disc with a full concert from "Sarah and Friends" tour and a disc of her performance with an orchestra!!
I m a huge fan of strings *don't get the wrong the idea :P* and i was so excited to discover that Sarah was doing re-arrangements with a live orchestra. I wish she would release a live with at least some of them - as a bonus or something but i seriously doubt it. For some strange reason i can tottaly see Sarah releasing Mirrorball tour on Blu-Ray rather than that.

I m soo looking forward to the new album although it still feels like yesterday that i got LOI - perhaps because i m used to wait - forever - for a new album. Hope she takes a different spin on it, perhaps a darker one like FTE rather than all 'Loving you is easy' .
Tangled up in our embrace
There's nothing I'd like better than to fall

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 am

It's possible it's going to be a fulfilling the contract quickie, but I don't mind that if it means she is going to get to the good stuff quicker. I'm usually wrong, and will be happy if she produces a stunning innovative change of direction that reminds me why I was a fan in the first place.

It will be good in another respect as she will maybe become more of a full time instead of part time artist once again. The way it has been the past 12 years, she has only been a part time artist. I realise she is not a prolific songwriter and doesn't much like touring, putting her life and family first. I would have preferred to see her work more, but that was her choice. Problem is it seemed she became rusty due to lack of work. The more she stayed away from music and songwriting the harder it seemed to be for her to write, and get over that writers block.

It's good news, although I can't say I'm much of a fan any more, but her old stuff is still my favourite music of all time. I just don't want to hear Angel again for about 5 years at least. I wanna hear something new and refreshing. At the moment I would settle for her writing two songs as good as the ones on the latest Pierces album. Just as Jessel feels about Kate Bush, her relevance to exciting new music has passed. The name Sarah McLachlan still excites me more than any other, but that is for the old work not the new. I want to be amazed, and maybe that is the problem, especially if she tries to achieve that writing peak again, but ends up feeling frustrated, stymied, and afraid to try new things in case she fails.

Yes I want to hear new songs, even though I love the old ones. Even though I didn't particularly like LOI, I would have preferred her to play more of the new songs live. She needs to move forward.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:36 pm

i agree... she does seem stuck in the past when it comes to performances... not that it is totally a bad thing, those songs are classics but when the new stuff gets passed over or she repeatedly plays the same "classic" songs over and over, it gets a tad predictable. i think she should retire "angel" for a while and maybe replace it with something new or an oldie, such as "do what you have to do" or "ben's song." the same goes for "adia."

she is still under contract? i thought she fulfilled it with the "mirrorball complete concert" and "FTE: legacy" packages? so one more record and she will go independent? this is exciting but i worry that she might see it as a retirement option, especially if the new record isn't successful.
fumbling...

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Sweetfear wrote:
Karine wrote: I would love a triple album: a disc of new songs, a disc with a full concert from "Sarah and Friends" tour and a disc of her performance with an orchestra!!
I m a huge fan of strings *don't get the wrong the idea :P* and i was so excited to discover that Sarah was doing re-arrangements with a live orchestra. I wish she would release a live with at least some of them - as a bonus or something but i seriously doubt it. For some strange reason i can tottaly see Sarah releasing Mirrorball tour on Blu-Ray rather than that.

I m soo looking forward to the new album although it still feels like yesterday that i got LOI - perhaps because i m used to wait - forever - for a new album. Hope she takes a different spin on it, perhaps a darker one like FTE rather than all 'Loving you is easy' .
this made me laugh... i can see her doing this as well but she missed the 10th anniversary mark so she has to wait until the 15th or 20th year anniversary. on the flip side, i agree, i would love for her to release one of the orchestral shows... the clips i heard on youtube sounded great. fingers crossed that we may get a few "soundboard" tracks in the new year as bonus tracks or a DVD set. were any of the orchestral shows recorded for radio broadcast?
fumbling...