Florence + the Machine

Talk about all the other musicians
Magellan
Touched

Re: Florence + the Machine

Post by Magellan » Sat May 22, 2010 9:55 pm

I love the Cosmic Love video :) But to be honest, the song pretty much brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it ;) So unless the video had shown a group of obese men mud wrestling in the nude, I'm pretty confident I would have enjoyed it.

As it is, the video is actually great and Florence is beautiful. She always dances like she means it...like it's just improv to how the music makes her feel. The clip is simple, but follows (I think) a bit of the style of the legendary Drumming Song video (which probably has it's nose in front as the best of her videos so far).
Despite being simple though, this clip still manages to be better than any Kate Bush video ever made :P Don't lynch me for saying that Jessel ;) I guess great music may be harder to come by these days, but music video production has never been better. 20 years ago, Florence standing on the spot and dancing, surrounded by decorations would have come out looking painfully twee. Now, it's all dramatic angles, beautiful lighting, effects, and just....wow. Gorgeous.

Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. As much as I adore other songs on the album, Cosmic Love is her best so far I think. An unusual song, built around drums and harps, yet stratospherically powerful. A classic for all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIeUlvHAiM

And how gorgeous is she? Did I mention that? Oh, I think I may have ;)
And if you haven't heard her interviewed yet, you should - she's a delight and very grounded too.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2800778.htm

Rob.
Attachments
florence-490x326.jpg
florence-490x326.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 3444 times

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun May 23, 2010 4:56 am

Magellan wrote:Despite being simple though, this clip still manages to be better than any Kate Bush video ever made :P Don't lynch me for saying that Jessel ;)
Don't worry, you're safe here haha! But be careful about saying that when you stumbled upon the infamous Kate forum (some of them hates Flo lol!) :lol:
Welcome back Rob! Glad you finally made it here!
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Sun May 23, 2010 2:36 pm

After reading all you had to say about Florence + The Machine, listening to You've Got The Love on the radio (I had no idea who was that singer when I first heard it) and checking a few other songs on YouTube, I can honestly say that I'm on my way to fall in love with her :P Her voice is so powerful and her lyrics seem pretty amazing as well <3
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen

Jujube

Post by Jujube » Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am

I'm glad to see a topic on Florence and the Machine! I first heard her "Dog Days Are Over" as a discovery download on iTunes, and I have loved her music ever since. "Dog Days Are Over" is still my favorite, but as many others have mentioned, enjoy "Drumming Song" and "Cosmic Love."

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Wed May 26, 2010 12:54 am

Jujube wrote:I'm glad to see a topic on Florence and the Machine! I first heard her "Dog Days Are Over" as a discovery download on iTunes, and I have loved her music ever since. "Dog Days Are Over" is still my favorite, but as many others have mentioned, enjoy "Drumming Song" and "Cosmic Love."

i love drumming song, caleb got me hooked on that.
this is the link he sent me and i fell in love with it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9PfMOJ5lec

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Thu May 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Magellan wrote:And how gorgeous is she? Did I mention that? Oh, I think I may have ;)
See my comments about Siobhán Donaghy they apply to Florence too ;)

I must mention my love for the new video for "Dog Days are Over"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOyfLBYtuU

I see English, Arabic, Hindiuism (the blue women) and Japanesse infulences. It certainly has more imagination in it than 98% of current muisc videos.

Magellan
Touched

Post by Magellan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 pm

Florence has a new song out, from the soundtrack to "Twilight Eclipse"

Powerful and dramatic, just like we like her...this is good stuff.

"Heavy In Your Arms"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h7slQInEcs

Rob.

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:53 am

Heard the track a couple of days ago. Love it! The Bat for Lashes track isn't bad either. :)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Florence covered Fleetwood Mac's the Chain recently. As everyone knows, Fleetwood Mac is my favorite band of all time and I'm simply obsessed with Stevie Nicks. I need some help finding this video/mp3.

Also, finding out that Florence adores Stevie as much as I do makes me LOVE Florence much more. :P It explains her stage persona so well. ;)

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGr6mkzTSLQ

Found it! She sings Heavy in Your Arms at the beginning.