random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Islandflyer
Drifting

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Islandflyer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:28 pm

There's no snow on the ground here, either, Karine, and little in the mountains, since it has been unseasonably warm.
But there are the usual lights going up on houses and decorations in stores. In the U.S. there is near hysteria about terrorism again, with the recent attack in California, and the non-stop show of nuts running for President is all the news.

So we're going to Arizona for Christmas, and check out things there. Unemployment is low here, and the boom in the airplane business is continuing, for now. Seattle is a hotbed of high-tech businesses, and people are coming here from everywhere to be part of it. I hope you girls have a good Holiday season, and that you and your families are safe and sound. But remember Carol, Big Brother (or is Big Sister there? ;) ) is always watching when you're at work. :lol:

Happy Holidays! :D
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Carol: I heard about what is going on in Brazil right now :( I'm happy to know that your family doesn't have problems with that, but I hope things will get better for your friends.

Ed: it seems like you will have a fun time during the Holidays :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Karine wrote:Carol: I heard about what is going on in Brazil right now :( I'm happy to know that your family doesn't have problems with that, but I hope things will get better for your friends.

Ed: it seems like you will have a fun time during the Holidays :)
I hope so, Karine. I need a break. :D SInce you're an academic, I assume you read a lot. Do you have this problem?

Tsundoku. That is Japanese for unread books piling up in your apartment or on your shelves. A cool word. I seem to be having this happen more often, although many of mine are on my Kindle. :lol: Hanging out in used book stores can be a cause of this "affliction", also. Although most actual books I read I get from the local library these days.

Here's the story:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/tsun ... guage.html

Or is there a better word in French? I suppose that in your era of interest it wasn't a problem, since books were owned only by the Church and the wealthy and they were still rare (and most people were illiterate anyway).

Carol- Tsundoku origami, perhaps? Jinsei wa tsudzuku! :D
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:27 am

Guys, I'm so disappointed :(
My Old French course was cancelled today. I was supposed to teach medieval French in January and there were not enough students (only 6). The Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Arts decided to cancel the course. I'm sad, because it's my field of study and I was really anxious with teaching it.
At least, I have two other courses in my schedule (theatre and French-Canadian literature), unless that changes too...
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Karine wrote:Guys, I'm so disappointed :(
My Old French course was cancelled today. I was supposed to teach medieval French in January and there were not enough students (only 6). The Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Arts decided to cancel the course. I'm sad, because it's my field of study and I was really anxious with teaching it.
At least, I have two other courses in my schedule (theatre and French-Canadian literature), unless that changes too...
Well, hang in there, Karine. I'm sure things will get better in the spring. What's the minimum number you have to have? It's good that you have regular courses to keep you going. Are you having unusually warm winter weather there? I'm hearing much of the East is having almost summer-like weather. Our intern, a young German woman, emailed from Berlin saying that cheery trees were in bloom there! Global warming, anyone?

Happy Holidays and a great New Year! :D
Ed

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:53 pm

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas and a happy New Year. All the best for 2016.
Happy Birthday to Miguel!!
Oh Yes..............I'm going to be a grandfather in a week or so's time. A little girl, and her name will be Isabel!

Quincy (AKA Paul)

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Oh, that is wonderful, a beautiful baby girl! I hope you will enjoy being a grandfather :D

I'm leaving the Ottawa area tomorrow, to spend the Holidays with my family. I can't wait! I wish you all the best for 2016 :D
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 am

I wish you the best for 2016: love and happiness, a good health and more!
I hope we'll get to hear some new music from Sarah (a Christmas album?) :)
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 am

Hey guys! It's pretty quiet around here ;)
Next week is the "study week" at uOttawa (= break from teaching for me). I'll work from home, yeah!

My sister will come to visit me during the weekend and we will see a concert from.... Whitehorse!! :D
Melissa and Luke are supposed to do a free show for the Winterlude activities in Ottawa and when I saw that, I asked my sister if she wanted to come. She said yes!!

I hope you are all doing well :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Karine wrote:Hey guys! It's pretty quiet around here ;)
Next week is the "study week" at uOttawa (= break from teaching for me). I'll work from home, yeah!

My sister will come to visit me during the weekend and we will see a concert from.... Whitehorse!! :D
Melissa and Luke are supposed to do a free show for the Winterlude activities in Ottawa and when I saw that, I asked my sister if she wanted to come. She said yes!!

I hope you are all doing well :)
Sounds like fun, Karine. Enjoy! I'm working a 4-day week now (some of the time) and enjoying the longer weekends. :)

Hey, what do folks in Canada think about the political circus in the U.S.? Wild and crazy, no? :lol: :roll:
Ed