random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Karine
A change is coming

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Karine » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 am

Ed, about the posts you're talking about (bootlegs and old concerts), I'm guilty: I read them but didn't reply. First, I don't have many recordings of shows (18 from 1996 and before; then it jumps to 2003 and after). As I probably wrote in an email, I don't really listen to then either. It's a shame, I know, but sometimes the sound is bad in my computer and I don't have the time, now, to listen to entire concerts.
I also feel less attracted by her older songs, probable because I'm like: What the hell is she singing about? There are many songs I just don't understand: Steaming, Trust, Sad Clown, Back Door Man, Lost!
Maybe I should pay more attention to the lyrics, take the time to read them again, but will I enjoy these songs more after doing it? I don't know. ;)
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:37 am

Time to go to bed. I won't be here for a few days, because I take the train tomorrow to go back to Bordeaux and I don't know if I'll have access to the Internet.
I hope I won't miss to much Sarah news during that time! ;)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:08 am

Karine wrote:Ed, about the posts you're talking about (bootlegs and old concerts), I'm guilty: I read them but didn't reply. First, I don't have many recordings of shows (18 from 1996 and before; then it jumps to 2003 and after). As I probably wrote in an email, I don't really listen to then either. It's a shame, I know, but sometimes the sound is bad in my computer and I don't have the time, now, to listen to entire concerts.
I also feel less attracted by her older songs, probable because I'm like: What the hell is she singing about? There are many songs I just don't understand: Steaming, Trust, Sad Clown, Back Door Man, Lost!
Maybe I should pay more attention to the lyrics, take the time to read them again, but will I enjoy these songs more after doing it? I don't know. ;)
I think these songs just "grow" on me, Karine, and as I read bits about them from here and there, I come to understand more. Like for "Home" Sarah said it was really an autobiographical song, about her dreams as a child, and how she felt isolated and not accepted. Her use of metaphor is lovely, and in her earlier songs she did that much more than in later work, leaving it to the imagination of the listener to construct their own narrative. I really like that approach, since it always leaves room for different meanings to emerge later. Ellen said she was "mysterious" in this way. I agree. Many of the songs on Solace were also about how her experience in Cambodia affected her picture of the world. She grew up in a comfortable, safe environment, and was exposed to the realities of suffering and cruelty when she was there in the early nineties, and it affected her music a lot. I know that for the songs on Touch she said they often didn't mean anything, but were there to set the mood, and I find the songs are very good at that (like in Steaming). But perhaps more than anything the passion in these early concerts is so strong, and it makes her music really resonate with me. This music has deeply affected me, across all the years since she made it, and I appreciate her music much more as a result. Have a good trip on the train. Is this a "bullet" train? We don't have those in the US, you know.

Ed
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:40 am

Yes, it's the French TGV that I'll be taking this afternoon (like on the 2007 picture, but much more longer than that): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed ... French_TGV

It takes 3 hours to go from Paris Montparnasse train station to Bordeaux St-Jean train station:
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-t ... ulouse.jpg

It's faster than other regular trains. For example, my ex-boyfriend was working in Nice, closed to Italy, and it was 8-9 hours to do the Bordeaux-Nice trip (no TGV line for this road). I did the road from Bordeaux to Marseille with my sister in 2009 and I believe it was 7 hours long.
http://www.elunet.org/local/cache-vigne ... -a6694.jpg

I'll probably use that time to work, watch a movie (or maybe Big Bang Theory's last episode) and listen to music. :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Karine wrote:Yes, it's the French TGV that I'll be taking this afternoon (like on the 2007 picture, but much more longer than that): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed ... French_TGV

It takes 3 hours to go from Paris Montparnasse train station to Bordeaux St-Jean train station:
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/france-t ... ulouse.jpg

It's faster than other regular trains. For example, my ex-boyfriend was working in Nice, closed to Italy, and it was 8-9 hours to do the Bordeaux-Nice trip (no TGV line for this road). I did the road from Bordeaux to Marseille with my sister in 2009 and I believe it was 7 hours long.
http://www.elunet.org/local/cache-vigne ... -a6694.jpg

I'll probably use that time to work, watch a movie (or maybe Big Bang Theory's last episode) and listen to music. :)
I bet it's awesome to see the countryside rushing by at what, 300 KPH? It's very smooth, too, I've heard. In the US a fast train is 80 MPH.

Do you have Wi-Fi on the train? Have a good trip.
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Guys, I wish you good luck for the Olympic Games... though we all know that Team Canada will win all the gold medals!! :D
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 am

Karine wrote:Guys, I wish you good luck for the Olympic Games... though we all know that Team Canada will win all the gold medals!! :D
Fat chance! :)

(could there be a subliminal message in "Sweet Surrender"? HaHaHa! Couldn't resist, sorry!)

But best of luck, anyway!

Hey, that's a cool signature picture you have, Karine. And the avatar picture is nice, too. :)
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks! :D
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm blaming Ellen and Carol for that :twisted: ;)
Karine

CarolCiola
Fallen

Post by CarolCiola » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:46 pm

I don't know of what are you talking about, Karine... :angel: :lol:

OMG is simply Lindt what you have here, and TWO, by the way!
It's one for Ellie and one for me, right? You can send mine through the mini chat, please! :mrgreen: