So quiet here....?

For all the random things in life
Karine
A change is coming

Re: So quiet here....?

Post by Karine » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am

Sorry for not being around lately, but I was invited to my friend's wedding, in Venice! :D
It was last weekend and it was really great!! Now I'm back in Bordeaux.
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm on the road again... :D
I left Bordeaux last Saturday to come to Paris for 2 months, to work on my thesis at the national library. I will go back to Bordeaux at the end of January.
I also have great plans for the Holidays: I'll be with my sister in England. I haven't seen my family in more than two years (the last time I went back home was in September 2010) and it'll be my first New Year's Eve with her since January 1st, 2008! I miss her so much and I can't wait to see her! She's working as a French assistant in a school and I'll spend 10 days with her. We would like to visit Glastonbury, Tintagel, Stonehenge and London.

Last year, I was alone at both Christmas and New Year's Eve. First, I thought it would be tough, but I made myself a great meal, watched happy movies and it was okay. There are so many people who don't even have a safe home or who are sick that complaining about my situation would have been shameful. I had a warm place to sleep, I was healthy, I had food for two and even if my family was far away from me, I knew i was not really alone.

What are your plan for Christmas? :)
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:54 am

Karine wrote:I'm on the road again... :D
I left Bordeaux last Saturday to come to Paris for 2 months, to work on my thesis at the national library. I will go back to Bordeaux at the end of January.
I also have great plans for the Holidays: I'll be with my sister in England. I haven't seen my family in more than two years (the last time I went back home was in September 2010) and it'll be my first New Year's Eve with her since January 1st, 2008! I miss her so much and I can't wait to see her! She's working as a French assistant in a school and I'll spend 10 days with her. We would like to visit Glastonbury, Tintagel, Stonehenge and London.

Last year, I was alone at both Christmas and New Year's Eve. First, I thought it would be tough, but I made myself a great meal, watched happy movies and it was okay. There are so many people who don't even have a safe home or who are sick that complaining about my situation would have been shameful. I had a warm place to sleep, I was healthy, I had food for two and even if my family was far away from me, I knew i was not really alone.

What are your plan for Christmas? :)
What you say is true, and it's good you have a realistic and relative view of things, but sometimes I think Christmas is a cruel and unhappy time for many people. It is worse being alone at Christmas than at any other time. I am lucky, even though I dread cooking the Christmas meal for my partner's mum and brother in a small kitchen (and end up with a massive headache), I know I am lucky to have a partner who I love, and have been with for over twenty years.

I hope you have a really great time here in England, Karine, and have a great Christmas.

We are both looking forward to concerts next year from Rita Ora, Leona Lewis, Emeli Sande, Lana Del Rey, and Kings Of Leon, so lots to look forward to. Am also winding down my business and am looking forward to entering some bigger poker tournaments. Some people let poker take over, but I realise the most important thing in my life is my partner (not poker, not money, not music, not sport).

Take care, and Merry Christmas.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:46 pm

You're right: seeing everybody else gathering and having fun while you wrestle with loneliness, sickness, divorce, death, ... it's surely tough. That's why I'm thankful for the great and happy moments that fill my life!
I wish you and your partner a very happy Christmas! :)
Karine

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 am

Hope you have a good time in England Karine. All the places you mentioned are amazing so you should have so much fun! :) I'm going to be in London in the next couple of weeks as I'm going to the Tate Britain art gallery to see the Pre-Raphaelites Exhibition that's currently on as a Christmas/Graduation/Birthday present, looking forward to it.

Sorry I haven't been posting in such a long time. I have finished my Masters and will be graduating in two weeks. I'm not going on to do a PHD because its too expensive but I'm continuing my work on Victorian Poetry as a Independent Scholar and it looks like I'll have my first article on Tennyson (based on my dissertation on Religion and Death in his poetry) published next year and I'm going to try and do some conference speaking during the summer. Then I've got a BIG project that I'm working on for a future article. Thank god I'm only getting a part-time job next month because I love research too much to abandon it as this point! ;)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:03 am

Yeah, Christmas can be rough, but it really is time for families to come together. Sometimes that doesn't work, though.

I would like to travel to England or maybe somewhere warm for the holidays one year. I like Christmas trees, but I hate snow. It's even worse walking in it!

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi all! I'm back in France and I wish you a very happy New Year!!
@ Ben: I went to the Tate Britain yesterday! :D I was very impressed by the two "Lady of Shalott" paintings (by Waterhouse and Hunt), they are beautiful!
In the last room of the exhibition, the tapestry of the knights leaving for the Holy Grail quest ("The Arming and Departure of the Knights") was so big, I can't even imagine how much time it took to do this! :shock:

Now, it's time to go back to my thesis...
Karine

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 am

@ Karine: I'm leaving for London today and will be going to the Tate Britian tomorrow, really excited about the "Lady of Shalott" paintings (Being a Tennyson academic they are a must ;) )

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 am

There are many references to Tennyson's work in the exhibition, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

@Ben: did you have enough time to see the exhibition? Did you like it? :)
Karine