random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Crazylitstudent » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey nice to "see" you Jessel! :D

I am around at the moment but have work to do on various Victorian writers and Poets. Nearly finished my Masters and then its a year off before I go back for a PHD in Victorian Poetry.

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20 pm

To all our friends on the Fan Forum, I take this time to wish you all well and to have a great up-coming summer with good Sarah music and health and happiness. You know, it doesn't cost a dime to wish for people's happiness or to just say a few words of wisdom. I know you all have your space and some of you are in studies and others are in thought but, hey, Sarah will be on the road in just over a month's time and some of you will get to see her again soon. That has got to make you happy and put a smile on your face. It's going to be a good summer and I just wanted to say that. Thank you and have a good day. :D

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Empirejim wrote:To all our friends on the Fan Forum, I take this time to wish you all well and to have a great up-coming summer with good Sarah music and health and happiness. You know, it doesn't cost a dime to wish for people's happiness or to just say a few words of wisdom. I know you all have your space and some of you are in studies and others are in thought but, hey, Sarah will be on the road in just over a month's time and some of you will get to see her again soon. That has got to make you happy and put a smile on your face. It's going to be a good summer and I just wanted to say that. Thank you and have a good day. :D
That's sweet. You seem to be in a very good mood!! :D
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Tue May 29, 2012 2:00 am

Have to admit I said to my partner yesterday as we played The Pierces live at The Roundhouse, they were now the ones that got my pulse quickening and were my favourite artist, not Sarah McLachlan. That's how it goes I suppose. My partner was both surprised and not surprised. "Well the last album was awful wasn't it?" She agreed.

Then I thought I am being too negative. She has still written my favourite songs and produced my four favourite albums of all time so maybe I have double standards. The last album was awful by her standards, but good by most standards. I find her irritating, and self obsessed, but in an industry where I can't stand most of the people, she is less irritating and self obsessed than most.

I suppose I have to accept she is now a past artist like Sandy Denny, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Clash etc, and move on. Be happy with what she has done.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:39 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:Have to admit I said to my partner yesterday as we played The Pierces live at The Roundhouse, they were now the ones that got my pulse quickening and were my favourite artist, not Sarah McLachlan. That's how it goes I suppose. My partner was both surprised and not surprised. "Well the last album was awful wasn't it?" She agreed.

Then I thought I am being too negative. She has still written my favourite songs and produced my four favourite albums of all time so maybe I have double standards. The last album was awful by her standards, but good by most standards. I find her irritating, and self obsessed, but in an industry where I can't stand most of the people, she is less irritating and self obsessed than most.

I suppose I have to accept she is now a past artist like Sandy Denny, Kate Bush, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Clash etc, and move on. Be happy with what she has done.
The Pierces are good, but Sarah McLachlan will always be special for me.
Karine

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:17 am

While I still love Sarah's music, I have to agree with TheSquirrel that she is becoming "a past artist". The problem is this year alone I've bought excellent new albums by Kathleen Edwards, Rachael Sage, Regina Spektor & Butterfly Boucher. I'm also really excited about buying albums by Ladyhawke, Kimbra, A Fine Frenzy and Sixpence None The Richer. The fact that Sarah isn't being part of one of the most exciting years in music I have personally known is really sad... :(

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Crazylitstudent wrote:While I still love Sarah's music, I have to agree with TheSquirrel that she is becoming "a past artist". The problem is this year alone I've bought excellent new albums by Kathleen Edwards, Rachael Sage, Regina Spektor & Butterfly Boucher. I'm also really excited about buying albums by Ladyhawke, Kimbra, A Fine Frenzy and Sixpence None The Richer. The fact that Sarah isn't being part of one of the most exciting years in music I have personally known is really sad... :(
Well, I still put Sarah on the top of my list. I know that her last album was not a big commercial success, but I really love the songs from "Laws of Illusion". When I listen to Awakenings or Forgiveness, I still have chills! I feel the same about "Don't Give Up On Us", released for Closer.
I'm happy to know that she's working on a new record and that she writes with different people. It would be great if she surprises us with good and raw melodies, with great lyrics, but unless she decides to put out an album of lullabies, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the songs.
Karine

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:47 pm

I like your thinking Karine. ;)

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm so stressed... :?
I just wrote to my supervisor, to send him 10 new pages of my dissertation. I have until June 29 to ask for an extension in 6th year of PhD; the last time I met him, he told me I could not pursue my thesis project if I was unable to write more and faster (he would not approve to my extension request).
I really struggle with writer's block, but I know I can write efficiently and quickly. I hope these last pages will help to change his mind about my projet. Keep you fingers crossed for me! :)
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 am

Crazylitstudent wrote:While I still love Sarah's music, I have to agree with TheSquirrel that she is becoming "a past artist". The problem is this year alone I've bought excellent new albums by Kathleen Edwards, Rachael Sage, Regina Spektor & Butterfly Boucher. I'm also really excited about buying albums by Ladyhawke, Kimbra, A Fine Frenzy and Sixpence None The Richer. The fact that Sarah isn't being part of one of the most exciting years in music I have personally known is really sad... :(
I still hang on to my belief that this is the age of the singer songwriter and that there are some tremendously talented artists out there. I have discoverd many of these thanks to the people here and on the previous forum. It's a shame Sarah Mclachlan doesn't figure in this innovative age much, but I guess she's done her bit.

This is why you fans are the way you are. You have eclectic broad tastes because you simply can't hang around waiting for her to bring out a new album. You can't continually make lists of her best tracks. You try out and listen to new and diffent things. I have been listening to the latest Kate Miller Heidke album, "Nightflight," and like it very much (I doubt I would have discovered her if not for the people here). There's even a touch of Sandy Denny on a few tracks, especially "Fire And Iron" and "The Devil Wears A Suit." The lyrics complement the beautiful tunes perfectly.

I saw Alanis Morissette last week in London, and her voice was still pretty good. I liked her last album, and from hearing some of the new songs, the next album looks to be up to her usual high standard too. There's lots to like out there, from both big and small names.

I still find music exciting, and I hope the forum keeps going. This place has members with impeccable taste. Maybe what differs slightly nowadays is you can get to hear amazing songs, because of the internet word of mouth, and ability to hear them online, but they may not be big money earners for the artist or recording company. The big hit artists are the ones with the big money companies behind them. Many of the artists which fans here like, don't have that backing, so maybe they'll never be as influencial or as big as they should have been, but at least some of us get to hear them. Some of us don't need record companies spending millions telling us what to listen to.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.