tori amos

Talk about all the other musicians
Magellan
Touched

Re: tori amos

Post by Magellan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 am

1. Jessel, I've heard of that concept album too. Haven't actually heard any of it. Will try the Youtube links now.

2. Tori's doing a "musical" as her next project? Same reaction from me: :?

3. I've got to say, I'm so amazed that Sarah fans still come into a Tori thread on a Sarah board and say they've never heard Tori before, but they might check her out.

?????????????????????

If you like Sarah, then Tori is THE NEXT ARTIST you should have investigated 10 mins after you first discovered Sarah. :D

I'm not saying they're the same, just that fans of one of them almost always find at least something to like from the other too. Plus, they are from the same era that we often talk about - they both hit their stride career-wise in the mid 1990s, and had a real golden period back then. If you lived through that time, you have no excuse not to know a bit about both of them :> I mean owning a copy of "Under The Pink" has got to be practically a pre-requisite for being on this board, no? ;) :)

As for what Tori is doing these days though, well that's a different story. So if you're new to her, then ignore this part and concentrate on her older stuff from the 1990s. Sarah's Laws Of Illusion has confirmed one thing for me - Sarah is still closer artistically now, to the Sarah I first fell in love with. On the other hand, I think Tori has drifted away in recent albums and become too watered down - a pale facsimile of the energetic flame-haired goddess of 1992 - 2000. Sparse arrangements and simple songs, and truly annoying artwork (to me) of her just posing around with "kooky" objects, all dolled up to within an inch of her life. You only need to look at her videos. Once they were full of energy with Tori looking like the real girl she always was. Now though, they're more like art pieces of Tori looking like a bit of a fragile mannequin. I guess she's getting older, and isn't the energetic 20-something she once was, but dammit I wish she wouldn't give in so easily... :cry:

Although, I must admit I didn't buy the Xmas album. And some people seemed to say that was a bit better than the last 'proper' album of new songs - Abnormally Attracted To Sin (which was a very disappointing album overall, to me).

Rob.
Last edited by Magellan on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 am

Magellan wrote:2. Tori's doing a "musical" as her next project? Same reaction from me: :?

Although, I must admit I didn't buy the Xmas album. And some people seemed to say that was a bit better than, say, Abnormally Attracted To Sin (which was a very disappointing album overall, to me).

Rob.
Out in 2012.

As for Midwinter Graces, it's tied with Wintersong for me. She did a great job with it.

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:58 am

Kaleysuncle wrote:As for Midwinter Graces, it's tied with Wintersong for me. She did a great job with it.
Agreed Caleb. I admit I wasn't a great fan of "Abnormally Attracted To Sin" but "Midwinter Graces" just blew me away because of its quality!

And the idea of a Tori musical project sounds quite intresting. If done right it could be awesome! :)

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 am

Magellan wrote: 2. Tori's doing a "musical" as her next project? Same reaction from me: :?
I wish her luck even though I have a weird feeling that this musical will go the same way as Elton John & Bernie Taupin's Lestat. It has flop written all over it. But of course I'd love to be proven wrong if only for the reason that she has earned the right to do whatever she wants at this stage in her career, and earned it well. Tori is amazing and all but this is musical theater we're talking about. She's simply no Stephen Sondheim, Andrew Lloyd Webber, or Tim Rice... :?

Maybe I'm just being overly cynical about every new thing Tori comes up with yet seriously, there's no denying the terrible decline. My 16-year old self is still clinging to the long-lost image of that highly eccentric mysterious redhead who pinned me against the wall long before I discovered Sarah (who became my new favorite in the late 90s) and Kate (who in turn eventually made me ditch everyone else).

To those new to Tori, I recommend listening to her 1st 5 CDs in this particular order (personal taste aside):
1. From The Choirgirl Hotel
2. Boys For Pele
3. Little Earthquakes
4. Under The Pink
5. To Venus & Back
As for her post-venus stuff, just follow the advice of Rob. But you might want to try a few later gems like A Sorta Fairytale and Sleeps With Butterflies. As for Strange Little Girls, just skip it unless you want to lose all respect for Tori lol. ;)
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

TauRush

Post by TauRush » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Although not a die-hard Tori fan, I will be seeing her twice this year in the Netherlands.
On 21 july she is doing a open air concert and in october she will do a special performance with a Dutch Orchestra, which I am really looking forward to.

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:48 pm

i haven't visited this thread in a while. i'm uber jealous to those who are attending the orchestral show in the fall. i really hope it is recorded in some way as this will be the first time tori has performed with an orchestra... at least what i can recall.

i agree that the material she has put out recently is not as good as her earlier material but we see that with most artists and i think if she edited her 17-23 track records to 11-12 tracks it might give the listener a better experience. i know with the last several proper records, i have my select favorites. she returned to form (more piano/strings) and the 11-12 track formula with "midwinter graces." i really enjoyed this record as i typically enjoy holiday music from my favorites, with sarah's "wintersong" and george winston's "december" amongst my top favorites.

the musical "the light princess" has been circulating in the tori world for several years now. as caleb mentioned, we finally have a release year of 2012. she unveiled one song from "the light princess" on "midwinter graces" titled "winter's carol." this particular song was a fan favorite from the record. i'm hoping she will release an audio CD of recordings from the musical. i vision classical tori with this one! :)

she's still an amazing performer and truly dedicated to her fans. she just released a DVD solo concert from the artists den a couple weeks ago and is currently on a solo european tour for the hell of it... meaning she is not promoting a particular record.
fumbling...

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:46 am

I've downloaded several bootlegs from this summer tour. She is channeling the 90s! She's back in top form! So glad the voice is back!

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:49 pm

me too caleb... i do like it when she plays solo plus i like that she is really exploring her back catalog and lost b-sides. i'm really hoping she releases a DVD/CD combo of her performance with the metropole orchestra this fall.
fumbling...

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm

chadwick wrote:me too caleb... i do like it when she plays solo plus i like that she is really exploring her back catalog and lost b-sides. i'm really hoping she releases a DVD/CD combo of her performance with the metropole orchestra this fall.
I could see her doing that since the ADP dvd seems to have been completely scrapped...

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Kaleysuncle wrote:
chadwick wrote:me too caleb... i do like it when she plays solo plus i like that she is really exploring her back catalog and lost b-sides. i'm really hoping she releases a DVD/CD combo of her performance with the metropole orchestra this fall.
I could see her doing that since the ADP dvd seems to have been completely scrapped...
if it helps, i found a dvd file on toritraders from the ADP tour. it was broadcast for tv and runs for about 60-70 minutes. i haven't watched it yet but i skimmed through the video. she was performing as "pip" during the first set and i also saw interview snippets with her bright orange wig! : )

you should check it out when you get the chance... i think it took about a day or two to download... it was 4.3 gigs.

the file name is: 2007-06-15 Seinäjoki, Finland DVD
http://tracker.toritraders.com/browse.p ... incldead=0
fumbling...