The Laws of Illusion (New Album)

chadwick
Touched

Re: The Laws of Illusion (New Album)

Post by chadwick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:40 pm

the only thing that bugs me about sarah is the lag time between records... it wasn't bad in the 90s... a few years between touch, solace, fumbling, and surfacing. i don't know what happened after surfacing but 6-7 years is too long for writing/producing a record of 10 songs. i know she took time to start a family but it's not like she had to squeeze in music time after a long day at the office... i don't know... that is the only thing that bugs me about sarah. sometimes, i think everyone forgets about her or loses interest in her work because of the long gaps. one of my friends didn't seem excited when i broke the news about the new record in june... and she loves sarah.

i wonder what sarah does between records... is the entire 6-7 years spent writing, we know that she is in the recording studio close to the release date? sometimes i think when fans are eagerly waiting for a record after a respectable amount of time (in my opinion, 3 years), sarah is chilling on the couch sipping some red wine saying, "nope, i need another 3-4 years."

as for the new material, i'm sure i will love it but i'm curious to the tone of the record. we should be hearing something about the first single... i wonder when it will be released?

to give sarah some credit about not working hard between records... she gave us the wonderful "wintersong" in 2006 and a few new songs with "closer" and the olympics.

i apologize for the "wait" rant... i know it has been beaten to death! :)
fumbling...

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:27 pm

^^ lol, --about the sitting on the couch sipping wine.

it been a long time, i hope its worth the wait though. i can imagine (i dont mean to be an ass) but she probably lost a bit of fans over the years for taking so long. :?:

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:40 pm

jessiemonkey wrote:^^ lol, --about the sitting on the couch sipping wine.

it been a long time, i hope its worth the wait though. i can imagine (i dont mean to be an ass) but she probably lost a bit of fans over the years for taking so long. :?:
i agree... i don't think it helps when you take a long time between records... sure, a good number of fans will stay but some may move on and forget about her. this may sound bad but i sometimes think she doesn't care as much about her fans (recently) as some other artists do. i say "recently" because she did keep fans invested through the murmurs fan club... remember the exclusive murmurs CDs and newsletters... and the concert pre-sales where we got first dibs on the first 10 rows?
fumbling...

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:16 pm

chadwick wrote:i agree... i don't think it helps when you take a long time between records... sure, a good number of fans will stay but some may move on and forget about her. this may sound bad but i sometimes think she doesn't care as much about her fans (recently) as some other artists do. i say "recently" because she did keep fans invested through the murmurs fan club... remember the exclusive murmurs CDs and newsletters... and the concert pre-sales where we got first dibs on the first 10 rows?
I for one would like an artist to take thier time on an album and get it perfect than rush out release after release because this just diminishes quality. I think may lasped fans rediscover an artist when a new album comes out and go back to the older stuff as their passion is reignited.

As for Sarah "not caring"... I don't think thats 100% true. I think the world has changed and things like fanclubs are not as importaint anymore. I would think they cost the record label alot to run and now they have the competition of free resources on the internet. It is sad and I wish record companies could put the effort for rewarding thier fans in the digital age....

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:17 pm

i don't mind an artist taking their time to put out quality work but a 6-7 year wait for 10 songs is a bit of a stretch. my comment regarding how she cares about her fans is based on that. i agree that maybe the old days of murmurs may be outdated to some extent.

there are a few artists who are a little more productive and in the time-frame that sarah releases 1 record, they have released 3. perhaps, some of the songs are not the cream of the crop but my love for the artist doesn't fade and i usually come out adding at least half of the record to my "favorites" playlist and by the time 3 records have been released, i have at least 15-20 songs.

anywho... i know that not all artists are the same. i really enjoy sarah's music and it saddens me that her output is so far apart, which makes me think how many more records she will ever craft.
fumbling...

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:36 pm

chadwick wrote: there are a few artists who are a little more productive and in the time-frame that sarah releases 1 record, they have released 3.
It's a fact that bothers me also. I love artists who put out a lot of music in a short amount of time, although that can be a bad thing as well unless they know how to keep that creative engine running.

She probably doesn't see this as a 'full-time' job now that she's made quite enough to settle for the rest of her life (or who knows?). I do believe she cares for her fans, and she knows most of us have been patient now, just like the crop that came before me patiently waited for her -- remember her comment in the Afterglow Live DVD before Sweet Surrender?
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:53 am

Crazylitstudent wrote:I for one would like an artist to take thier time on an album and get it perfect than rush out release after release because this just diminishes quality.
Same here. In this age when everyone is a critic, releasing an album is such a phenomenal accomplishment. Songwriting is without question a really tough thing to do and sad but true, creativity diminishes as one gets older. Sarah, like most artists, needs all the time she can get to polish her material before it becomes ready for public consumption. But I agree with chadwick in principle, that 6-7 years is quite a long wait and is sure to lose her some fans. My sister who was once a bigger Sarah fan than me kinda gave up on her recently. It's a good thing she appears on the telly once in a while since that keeps her in the public eye.

Can't wait for the album and I hope this one is worth the very long wait! :D
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Jessel wrote: Can't wait for the album and I hope this one is worth the very long wait! :D

i hope so too, at least we are getting something ya know? we'll just have to deal with what we get and make the best of it! :)

as for right now, im excited for this one because who knows when or if there will be another one (probably-well hopefully) ill have to start a countdown, i think miguel already has one!

WolfmanJack

Post by WolfmanJack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:15 pm

I do agree that with time, she might have lost a few fans and by saying a few, I cannot estimate the number total. That is what happens when an artist takes their time. However, to refine one's music, isn't time an important factor to just getting it right. How often have we heard people say that Sarah's music is so good and right on and so precious and soothing to the mind. That is called, taking your time in doing it well. I know none of you out there have any bad things to say about Sarah and are eager to see her especially when Lillith is starting to move. It is the hipe of the moment,the energy of each of you,the anxious waiting, that has opened our minds to talk and give or take opinions and judge what is and what should be done concerning her show, or what will be her show. For any of you who have never been in front of Sarah for whatever the occasion, it is a must and not to be missed for whatever reason.

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Miguel wrote:
And another thing, may I ask why we're bringing up about knowing/not knowing Sarah's personal life, what does that have to do with the album??
I’m going to “Do a Jessel” and agree and disagree.
When we talk about an individual’s private life, we’re not talking about what their favourite colour is, who their dating, what dress designer they favour, or whether they shop as this shop or that shop. It goes beyond that. From the very first note a singer sings, the first word an author pens or the very first brush stroke an artist paints, they are inviting you into their world, to show you what they see, feel and experience. As their art form progresses it shows us more of what they’re thinking. Depending on how good they are depends on how well they draw you in. The more you know that individual the more you can relate to them. As stated in my previous post it sometimes helps that you “know” them. This is “private” at arm’s length. To get closer than this is then getting into the realms of voyeurism and, dare I say, stalking. It’s of no great concern to me whether the individual is a vegan, virgin or Venusian.
When we talk about “loving” that individual we’re not talking of love in the accepted sense of two adult “loving” each other, or the unconditional love a child has for its mother. What we’re talking about is empathy. I’ve used empathy rather than sympathy because empathy goes to a deeper level and I feel that sympathy is a little lightweight in the scenario. (I know this may just be semantics, and you may feel that I’m wrong with the choice of words, but I’m more than happy to continue my education and be proved wrong.) By the very nature that you are reading this post and subscribe to this forum, shows that we all have empathy for SMcL. We all “know” her, what she stands for, her attitude to life and others. There is something in her that we see in ourselves, and I’m sure that there is something in her that we would like to see in ourselves. She has done this by her songs; she has invited the listener into her private world. Her values are our values and that common thread pulls us all along.
I envy all of you who have this creative ability, to create from the heart and soul. To paint a picture in the mind of another. By trade I am an Engineer (Sometimes a bloody good engineer!) and as such I can, and do, create. However, I create from rules and regulations, specifications and using cold, hard logic. I look at a problem or a process and I solve it. I could show you all something that I’ve done, from the simplest nut and bolt to a complex surgical prosthesis, but you will not see “Me”. You may see the ability to analyse, to interpret and to think laterally. What you won’t see is what’s in my heart, my soul or my world.
I agree wholeheartedly with what Squirrel and Miguel has said; it is the music which we should love and appreciate. But don’t ignore what’s behind the façade. The music and the person could have double the influence on you and change your way of looking at life.

Do you know, there are times when I like these moments of lucidity!!