The Laws of Illusion (New Album)

Miguel

Re: The Laws of Illusion (New Album)

Post by Miguel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 pm

mjc1987 wrote:Hey! I'm not being a spoilt brat when I need to know the London date in terms of booking the holidays from my work, which is a mega pain in the ass to do anyway, even though its months away!
I completely understand, I was joking about the spoiled brat bit (hence the smiley at the end) :)
Just have to stay optimistic that it will come sooner than later!!
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 am

Karine wrote:We supposed that she was thinking about her new boyfriend and her happiness when she wrote that song, but it could also be something about the illusion of "easy love". I can't wait to see! :D
I think you nailed it! Yeah, it could be that she is referring to the idea of "easy love" and "bliss" as mere illusions: no matter how much happiness it brings. I'm not saying she's living a lie right at this moment since it's pretty obvious she and Brett (?) is living a perfect life; I'm merely contemplating on the possibility that she might deal with the superficial side of relationships in this album. I know it's quite early to make assumptions but I'm gonna stick to my guns and say that we'll see lots of fun/upbeat tunes on TLOI (in contrast to her previous work) which makes it more exciting!
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 am

TheSquirrel wrote:Look at it this way. Solace was produced when she was miserable, FTE was produced when she was really miserable, Afterglow was produced when she was happy. Hmmm. See what I'm getting at?
Believe me, I know where you're getting at lol! I'm not a big fan of Afterglow either and like you, I think it's too safe, too commercial, and less daring. In fact, I never listen to it at all: I just ripped the track Answer and that's as far as Afterglow that I'd go. It's true that artists with generally perfect lives don't have anything to write about at all, but this is Sarah we're talking about and she's one of the best of her generation. Actually, your post reminded me of something: Touch was produced at a time when she was really happy - moving to the big city and doing what she wants, getting a record deal at a very young age, living her dream (what more can anyone want?). Yet she (with help from her friends) managed to come up with this really great album. I might sound too subjective here since Touch is my fave album but what I'm trying to say is having a perfect life is probably not an obstacle to writing some compelling material this time around. Just think about it, the last time Sarah's happy as she is right now was during the time when she's starting out (also when she got pregnant with her first child, but that was during her hiatus so it doesn't count). Maybe she can work some magic this time?
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:26 am

I wouldn't be surprised if 'Loving you is Easy' gets scrapped. I forgot to mention that around the time Sarah performed at the opening ceremony of the Olympics, some gossip/media outlet tweeted that Sarah and Brett had split up. I don't know if this is still true

Squirrel made a point in saying she rushes a bit too much with the lyrics sometimes (if the song was about him).
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Eipeadesse

Post by Eipeadesse » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:41 am

Wow, I go away for a while and when I get back there is this wonderful surprise waiting for me :D !!!! (and for all of you of course ;) )
She really mislead everyone (or at least me) in thinking she wasn't able to pull off a new album and get Lilith 2010 ready. I'm really excited and can't wait to hear it! Hope it wil not be too commercial, but right now I'm just happy with any new material.
`Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get`

Eipeadesse

Post by Eipeadesse » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:56 am

Karine wrote:You can pre-order it now and have access to Lilith Fair tickets.
I just checked to pre-order and unfortunately you have to live in the US or Canada.... :(
`Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get`

WolfmanJack

Post by WolfmanJack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:27 pm

I have read all the posts here and it seems that everyone has an opinion of what the new album should be like. We are the critics of something that has yet to materialize. There has been harsh comments on Sarah's moods and her present status and is that really justified! Lets give her a break and see how the new album does. Make your decisions after hearing it for the first time.Do we not have love for Sarah! So let us just say that it will be a great album, sung with joy and conviction. Come on everyone, do her right. ;)

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:06 pm

WolfmanJack wrote:.Do we not have love for Sarah! ;)
The answer in my case, is no. That's not to say that you should be like me, or me like any of you. I merely think you have to realise it's the music we love, not the artist, and that's a big difference. I get a bit worried when fans start to say they love the artist and listen to what they have to say. Then they start to expect too much and get disillusioned. Talking about the new album is fun because we haven't seen one for the last seven years, and I didn't think she was capable of producing one more album of original material. It's a big event. After she releases it I hope she just disappears for 7 years until she is capable of producing another one. I have to say I get sick of the charity functions and the repackaged old material. I really just don't want to see her unless she is doing something worthwhile artistically.

I have enjoyed your snippets of information because it's the latest gossip about a new album, which doesn't come around very often. Unfortunately there isn't much fans can do in the off times except talk about other artists, but for a short while we have a chance to talk about some new stuff. She is actually doing something creatively for once, and that is a rare event.

I really hope she does a solo tour, but maybe she is not capable of doing a solo tour any more, and that is why the Lilith thing. I thought Lilith was just to keep her in the public eye because she did not have any new material, but I was wrong. Maybe Lilith is to promote the new album because she is not capable, or does not want to do a solo tour. When it comes to McLachlan I am delighted to be wrong. But I expect nothing from her from now on. If she isn't producing new stuff then I just don't care about her or want to hear about her, it's on to other artists until she can get her act together. One of the great things about McLachlan fans is their great eclectic broad taste. This board like the last one, is fun, and has people who are intelligent and have a broad taste in music. I like the fans better than the artist.

You touched on something that I was thinking about though. Maybe we are reading things into what the new album will be like because of what has happened in her life. I have been like a newshound journalist looking for an angle. It has occurred to me that maybe all my conjecture and everyone else's will be completely wrong. It doesn't matter that much because we only get this chance once every 7 or 8 years, maybe this is the last time, who knows? But it's fun.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Miguel wrote:
Quincy wrote:Depending on who was at the London show would decide it for me. I've read several times that SMcL may or may not be at all the venues, so let's keep a careful watch. Knowing my luck I'll be somewhere totally inappropriate if she does come to London.
t,

....Just have a little patience. People are being spoiled brats! :o
If there's one thing I lack in abundance is patience.
(I'm trying to work out just how many laws of the English language I've massacred with that sentence.)

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm

I'mhoping the new album is a return to Sarah's glory days of the 90s. I don't mean I want an album that's exactly like FTE but something a little bit more folky than poppy. But knowing Sarah it will be divine no matter what the "sound"!