random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Re: random thoughts?

Post by TheSquirrel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 am

Sorry Karine, I haven't been around much recently so missed your news. Many congratulations on all your hard work paying off. I have a feeling your success is well deserved. Now you have all your future ahead of you with a PhD under your belt. Brilliant - well done!
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 am

TheSquirrel wrote:Sorry Karine, I haven't been around much recently so missed your news. Many congratulations on all your hard work paying off. I have a feeling your success is well deserved. Now you have all your future ahead of you with a PhD under your belt. Brilliant - well done!
Thank you! :D

We're in Paris, our final stop. We're going back to Bordeaux in 2 days, so it's our last days of vacation. Today, we plan to visit the Holy Chapel and the Catacombes. Ellen, I'm sure you would enjoy this last one ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris

Take care! :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Ah, yes, "The Empire of Death". I'd love to see those fascinating arrangements of skulls and tibias. 8-)

Have you visited them, Karine? Have a wonderful vacation. :)
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Islandflyer wrote:Ah, yes, "The Empire of Death". I'd love to see those fascinating arrangements of skulls and tibias. 8-)

Have you visited them, Karine? Have a wonderful vacation. :)
Hi Ed!
We waited 3 hours long in the sun to visit the Catacombs, but it was great! We're now back in Bordeaux and Wednesday, my mother and sister will fly back to Canada. During the next days, we'll start to pack my stuff and clean my room.
Are you on vacation?
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:27 pm

That makes you a real Gothic Goulie, then, Karine! Did you see Sarah down there, sitting in the dark, writing lyrics? :lol:

Wish I was on vacation. I'm working overtime and Saturdays, instead.

Have fun! :)
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:10 pm

In one week, I'll be in the plane. It's weird: I don't realize that I'll be leaving France in a few days. :?
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:49 am

Karine wrote:In one week, I'll be in the plane. It's weird: I don't realize that I'll be leaving France in a few days. :?
It's going to be strange coming home, is it not, Karine? You've been there a long time in France. Perhaps Canada will seem as a "foreign" country to you now. Please enlighten us on your experience, and if it's true that "you can never really go home again". :) Like Sarah, you too are a "world citizen" now.
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 am

Yeah, I wonder if I'll feel like this... :?
For the moment, I'm going to be in my mom's house, well, it's my house too because that's where I was living before I left for France. However, I'm used to living alone now and I think that coming back with my mother will be tough. I see it with my sister: my mom asks her "What are you doing?" like 20 times a day and I know it will drive me crazy! :lol:

But...
I won't be home all the time because I'm starting a new job in three weeks! :D I will be a part-time professor at the University of Ottawa :D
It's not a tenure track position, but I'm happy because I will teach two courses: one this fall and one in the winter. I'm trying to get another part-time job in a college, but I found nothing for the moment. I keep my fingers crossed because one part-time job isn't enough financially.
This fall, my schedule allows me to stay at home and I would be able to go to Ottawa twice a week. In the winter, I will have to find an apartment and stay there because I will teach early in the morning. In fall, I can take the bus from Montréal to Ottawa because I will teach at 2:30 pm and 4 pm, but in January, it'll be at 8:30 am and 10 am and there's no way I can be there in time. I'll try to find a nice small apartment, not too expensive, and if it's possible, maybe I'll rent it this fall too.

A while ago, I read articles written by psychologists, about coming back home after many years spent in another country. They were talking about depression and how hard it was to come back without any new project to keep you busy. I believe that with this new job, I will feel good ;)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:37 am

Karine wrote:Yeah, I wonder if I'll feel like this... :?
For the moment, I'm going to be in my mom's house, well, it's my house too because that's where I was living before I left for France. However, I'm used to living alone now and I think that coming back with my mother will be tough. I see it with my sister: my mom asks her "What are you doing?" like 20 times a day and I know it will drive me crazy! :lol:

But...
I won't be home all the time because I'm starting a new job in three weeks! :D I will be a part-time professor at the University of Ottawa :D
It's not a tenure track position, but I'm happy because I will teach two courses: one this fall and one in the winter. I'm trying to get another part-time job in a college, but I found nothing for the moment. I keep my fingers crossed because one part-time job isn't enough financially.
This fall, my schedule allows me to stay at home and I would be able to go to Ottawa twice a week. In the winter, I will have to find an apartment and stay there because I will teach early in the morning. In fall, I can take the bus from Montréal to Ottawa because I will teach at 2:30 pm and 4 pm, but in January, it'll be at 8:30 am and 10 am and there's no way I can be there in time. I'll try to find a nice small apartment, not too expensive, and if it's possible, maybe I'll rent it this fall too.

A while ago, I read articles written by psychologists, about coming back home after many years spent in another country. They were talking about depression and how hard it was to come back without any new project to keep you busy. I believe that with this new job, I will feel good ;)
Hey, Congratulations on getting a job, Karine! What will you be teaching?
Isn't the winter a lot colder in Montreal than Paris? Maybe you will have to get used to that again ;)
Isn't English the primary language in Ottawa? I guess you will get lots of practice, in any case :lol:
I'm sure you will be feeling just fine once you're home again. :)
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am

Islandflyer wrote:Hey, Congratulations on getting a job, Karine! What will you be teaching?
Isn't the winter a lot colder in Montreal than Paris? Maybe you will have to get used to that again ;)
Isn't English the primary language in Ottawa? I guess you will get lots of practice, in any case :lol:
I'm sure you will be feeling just fine once you're home again. :)
Thanks! :) I will be teaching French literature, of course! ;) I'll have to cover everything from the Middle Ages to the 18th century (well obviously not everything, but the most important novels, plays, etc.). In the winter, the course will be about the history of the French language and its use in literature. These are all going to be done in French, but I believe I'll use English more in my everyday life.

I'm still looking at other college websites in the Montréal area, to see if a job might pop out someday! Something with 1 or 2 courses in the session, that would be perfect! :)
Karine