random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Islandflyer
Drifting

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:12 am

CarolCiola wrote:Yes Karine, the doctor gave me 15 days off... My foot is immobilized with a pretty tight band aid. The games will begin tomorrow, is a big mess in my city, the opening will be is São Paulo.

It's good that you will have your family around support to this, it certainly changes everything! :)
Sorry to hear about that, Carol. Guess you can still play guitar while recuperating, but not drums. ;)

In the US you would probably be expected to work from home on your laptop. Hope you get back in shape soon. :)

I've worn contacts since high school, and now wear reading glasses as well. Hey, we're all Sarah's geeks anyway, right? :lol:

I've been looking at the Google views of streets painted for the World Cup in Brazil, Quite colorful.
Ed

CarolCiola
Fallen

Post by CarolCiola » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Thank you, Ed! ;)

Well, I'm so sleepy lately because of the medicines, that I didn't even touched the guitar these days..!

I was really worried about the protests that were been announced around here, but it seems that nothing will really happen! People are celebrating a lot the event :D the streets and houses are adorned with flags and people are making some noise with the trumpets! I guess it will be a big party!

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:16 pm

It's my last day in Paris and tomorrow, I'll take the train to go back to Bordeaux.
I'll come back for 3-4 days with my mother and sister in July, but it won't be the same.
I feel a bit sad, having to say goodbye to all that the things that I like about Paris without knowing if I'll ever get the chance to see the city again, once I'll leave France. I will miss the National Library, it was such a nice place to work.
I'm beginning to stress about the thesis defense, it's in 11 days (OMG!!!).
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:41 am

Karine wrote:It's my last day in Paris and tomorrow, I'll take the train to go back to Bordeaux.
I'll come back for 3-4 days with my mother and sister in July, but it won't be the same.
I feel a bit sad, having to say goodbye to all that the things that I like about Paris without knowing if I'll ever get the chance to see the city again, once I'll leave France. I will miss the National Library, it was such a nice place to work.
I'm beginning to stress about the thesis defense, it's in 11 days (OMG!!!).
It must seem quite momentous and uncertain, as you finish this phase and embark on the next, Karine. As you've said, a change is coming. Your friends here and elsewhere all know you will do fine, and that you will "Shine On" as the next chapter opens. We all wish you the best! Please leave us with some parting thoughts of that fabled city as you finish your stay there. :)
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Well, I'm back in Bordeaux and the trip was fine. I had a bit of a hard time at one point: I was listening to music and "Leaving On A Jet Plane" started to play (Chantal Kreviazuk's version). I thought: Why did I put that in my mp3 player?" :(

Parting thoughts? :) This city is inspiring and living there is very different from visiting it as a tourist. There are a few places that I enjoy a lot: the Jardin du Luxembourg, the St. Michel boulevard, which is right in the middle of the city, the Place de la République, etc.
I can go to these places with closed eyes, no map needed ;)
I was living in the 14th arrondissement, which is in the south, so I'm more familiar with this part of Paris: the Montsouris park, the Petit-Montrouge-Alesia area, where I was going to see movies.
One night, in November 2012, I went to the cinema for my birthday. After the film projection, it was quite late, but the night was good, the air was fresh and I didn't want to take the bus to come back. I walked for 45 minutes, but it seemed less than that. I was just happy to be there, in that beautiful city, and I hope I will never forget how it felt. I had other moments like this one, when I had the feeling of really being "from" this city and not being a visitor. :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:17 am

Karine wrote:Well, I'm back in Bordeaux and the trip was fine. I had a bit of a hard time at one point: I was listening to music and "Leaving On A Jet Plane" started to play (Chantal Kreviazuk's version). I thought: Why did I put that in my mp3 player?" :(

Parting thoughts? :) This city is inspiring and living there is very different from visiting it as a tourist. There are a few places that I enjoy a lot: the Jardin du Luxembourg, the St. Michel boulevard, which is right in the middle of the city, the Place de la République, etc.
I can go to these places with closed eyes, no map needed ;)
I was living in the 14th arrondissement, which is in the south, so I'm more familiar with this part of Paris: the Montsouris park, the Petit-Montrouge-Alesia area, where I was going to see movies.
One night, in November 2012, I went to the cinema for my birthday. After the film projection, it was quite late, but the night was good, the air was fresh and I didn't want to take the bus to come back. I walked for 45 minutes, but it seemed less than that. I was just happy to be there, in that beautiful city, and I hope I will never forget how it felt. I had other moments like this one, when I had the feeling of really being "from" this city and not being a visitor. :)
Thanks! Just think of the great memories you will have, Karine. Living in Paris, like Hemingway and so many other icons, and studying for your Phd. Sounds like a great combination. And after all, where you're "from" is a state of mind anyway, isn't it? :) And to have done all this while you're young, too. How cool! :D
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:41 am

Islandflyer wrote:Thanks! Just think of the great memories you will have, Karine. Living in Paris, like Hemingway and so many other icons, and studying for your Phd. Sounds like a great combination. And after all, where you're "from" is a state of mind anyway, isn't it? :) And to have done all this while you're young, too. How cool! :D
Yes, I try to keep in mind that I was lucky to be able to do all of this. When I left Canada, I was excited to go somewhere where no one knows me.
It's like Jann Arden's song: ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZgbEgBex0

I wanted to find "myself", to see if I was living is some sort of patterns with my family and my friends, people I knew from long ago. It was an amazing experience :D
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 am

Karine wrote:
Islandflyer wrote:Thanks! Just think of the great memories you will have, Karine. Living in Paris, like Hemingway and so many other icons, and studying for your Phd. Sounds like a great combination. And after all, where you're "from" is a state of mind anyway, isn't it? :) And to have done all this while you're young, too. How cool! :D
Yes, I try to keep in mind that I was lucky to be able to do all of this. When I left Canada, I was excited to go somewhere where no one knows me.
It's like Jann Arden's song: ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZgbEgBex0

I wanted to find "myself", to see if I was living is some sort of patterns with my family and my friends, people I knew from long ago. It was an amazing experience :D
So I guess since they know you in Paris now, it's time to move on again? ;)

She's good, Karine. I like it.

I ran across this while listening to some of her music. It's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLI09QtGB2I
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Thesis defense is in... 1 week! :? :shock:

My mother and sister will be there this Friday, I can't wait to see them! :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:50 am

Karine wrote:Thesis defense is in... 1 week! :? :shock:

My mother and sister will be there this Friday, I can't wait to see them! :)
Time waits for no one, Karine. :lol:

Best wishes for a joyous reunion. :)
Ed