ASPCA commercial

Discuss here any general things concerning Sarah
biancadantas
Lost

ASPCA commercial

Post by biancadantas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 am

I really love animals and I have 7 of these friends in my home. I have 4 cats and 3 dogs and I respect people who don't want to have and even don't like animals though I cannot understand them.
I think Sarah is doing an amazing job asking people to help animals and I can't understand why some people insist on criticizing her because of the commercials. They keep on saying that the commercials are too sad....what do they want? A happy dance song? The situation is really sad....
I really hate when I'm looking for new Sarah videos over YouTube and I come across those stupid parodies and critics and also those ridiculous communities on Facebook that say they hate Sarah(!!!!). Why do people insist on hating someone who doesn't make any bad, someone who always try to help?

What do you think about this situation? Has anyone faced something like that?

Peace!
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

Jessel
Fumbling

Re: ASPCA commercial

Post by Jessel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:42 am

I'm a big supporter of animal rights myself (no, I'm not a vegan in case you're wondering lol) and this is one of the main reasons why I admire and love Sarah so much. Shelter is something that stayed with me ever since I first heard it back in the late 90's, and that song continues to touch me every time I listen to it. One thing I like about the Western society is their regard for the welfare of non-human beings. Cruelty to animals is something I never really understood. The only thing I know is that it's coming from a very deep rooted sense of insecurity and unwillingness to explore one's spirituality (and yes, I'm almost an atheist but at least I have a sense of 'spirituality' whatever that means...) I'm longing for the day when it becomes legal here to punish animal rights violators in the same way they treated those poor creatures. I'd be more than willing to accept full-time employment at the PSPCA even without salary and benefits.
Kidding aside, there are some unpleasant realities people just don't want to talk about (let alone admit to themselves) and watching these commercials puts them in a situation where they have to confront these very same issues which they're avoiding in the first place. It's confronting "sadness" itself face to face and being caught off guard that makes them feel uncomfortable. Sometimes the animals have nothing to do with it, just the fact that constant reminders of how depressing life can be and how screwed-up modern society is makes people a bit uneasy. Hence, people just choose to ignore. It's not cruelty that kills really, it's indifference. Sad but true, human beings are pathetic deep down. And yes, it's just my opinion, but on second thoughts it's also true. Cruelty and indifference: I believe those are the social cancers society has to deal with in years to come.
I haven't heard of people who hated Sarah so much that they've gone as far as setting up hate communities on Facebook (mental note: here's another reason why I should visit Facebook more often) and that's just ridiculous. There's nothing new about this really. There are some people who are so intent on hating someone that they won't rest until they find a reason just to make it happen. I've met people like these in real life so those hate-arades in places like Youtube all sound like freaking lullabies to me, and believe me they're mostly sad and disappointed people: a miserable bunch if you ask me. There really is nothing you can do about them other than be apathetic towards them and show them how insignificant they are. As a fitting ending to my somewhat boring rant, I'd like to quote someone who has helped me deal with this kind of situation (thanks Lee):

"My days of worrying about what people think about me are over. There are some who'll never, ever give it up to you regardless of what you achieve or how good your intentions are... A little trick I have for coping with people sniping about me behind my back is to not care what people think of me. Wear your defiance like a glamorous cape, I always say." :)

EDIT:
Nice thread by the way. Reading posts like this restores my faith in humanity :lol:
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm

i think the aspca is wonderful too. i feel so bad for the animals, i try to take in homeless animals when i can, or at least feed them. i came across people on youtube that would make the parodies of the commercials. like do you really have nothing better to do?? your like 12. go ride your bike or something lol but instead they would rather joke about something they know nothing about...they really push my buttons. lol :twisted:

WolfmanJack

Post by WolfmanJack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 pm

There is not too much more to be said. I think you have covered all the bases. What Sarah does for the animals is reflected in her love for all humanity. She is true blue in all senses of the word. She cares and helps others to care also. There is a place on this earth for both humans and animals as God made it. Hats off to her for caring as we care also.

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:22 pm

A part of me thinks that those people who criticize the commercials are people who actually wouldn't give a second thought about committing cruel acts on animals, so maybe they're kind of exposing themselves if they think animals don't need love or affection from us. There is no reason to hate/dislike someone for wanting to help our non-human friends; this is their Earth too.
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Jessel wrote:I'm a big supporter of animal rights myself (no, I'm not a vegan in case you're wondering lol) and this is one of the main reasons why I admire and love Sarah so much. Shelter is something that stayed with me ever since I first heard it back in the late 90's, and that song continues to touch me every time I listen to it. One thing I like about the Western society is their regard for the welfare of non-human beings. Cruelty to animals is something I never really understood. The only thing I know is that it's coming from a very deep rooted sense of insecurity and unwillingness to explore one's spirituality (and yes, I'm almost an atheist but at least I have a sense of 'spirituality' whatever that means...) I'm longing for the day when it becomes legal here to punish animal rights violators in the same way they treated those poor creatures. I'd be more than willing to accept full-time employment at the PSPCA even without salary and benefits.
Kidding aside, there are some unpleasant realities people just don't want to talk about (let alone admit to themselves) and watching these commercials puts them in a situation where they have to confront these very same issues which they're avoiding in the first place. It's confronting "sadness" itself face to face and being caught off guard that makes them feel uncomfortable. Sometimes the animals have nothing to do with it, just the fact that constant reminders of how depressing life can be and how screwed-up modern society is makes people a bit uneasy. Hence, people just choose to ignore. It's not cruelty that kills really, it's indifference. Sad but true, human beings are pathetic deep down. And yes, it's just my opinion, but on second thoughts it's also true. Cruelty and indifference: I believe those are the social cancers society has to deal with in years to come.
I haven't heard of people who hated Sarah so much that they've gone as far as setting up hate communities on Facebook (mental note: here's another reason why I should visit Facebook more often) and that's just ridiculous. There's nothing new about this really. There are some people who are so intent on hating someone that they won't rest until they find a reason just to make it happen. I've met people like these in real life so those hate-arades in places like Youtube all sound like freaking lullabies to me, and believe me they're mostly sad and disappointed people: a miserable bunch if you ask me. There really is nothing you can do about them other than be apathetic towards them and show them how insignificant they are. As a fitting ending to my somewhat boring rant, I'd like to quote someone who has helped me deal with this kind of situation (thanks Lee):

"My days of worrying about what people think about me are over. There are some who'll never, ever give it up to you regardless of what you achieve or how good your intentions are... A little trick I have for coping with people sniping about me behind my back is to not care what people think of me. Wear your defiance like a glamorous cape, I always say." :)

EDIT:
Nice thread by the way. Reading posts like this restores my faith in humanity :lol:
Thank you for your words, you were able to say lot of things I was not able to say at the time. I'l try to use the sentence you quoted as much as I can because I still care so much about what people say or think.
Signature by Ellen

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm very glad you guys read and answered the thread I created so fast. It makes me feel proud of this board and of you :D . When i wrote it I was really thinking of taking some 'agressive' attitudes with those videos, like telling them some truths in the comments and anything else I could. But I changed my mind while reading Jessel's post, it make me think 'let them be the way they are, let them not to care about anything else'. I'll just try to ignore them (try....). I think we need to do our part and just let them live on their 'hate life'.

Thank you, guys!
Signature by Ellen

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 pm

biancadantas wrote:When i wrote it I was really thinking of taking some 'agressive' attitudes with those videos, like telling them some truths in the comments and anything else I could. But I changed my mind while reading Jessel's post, it make me think 'let them be the way they are, let them not to care about anything else'. I'll just try to ignore them (try....). I think we need to do our part and just let them live on their 'hate life'.
Good decision. No use trying to "save them" or trying to find some common ground where you can connect with them spiritually or emotionally. Same thing goes for those few people in your life (in the workplace, community, or even in your extended family) who makes you feel nauseated and headachy. Don't ever let yourself 'go down' with them by taking part in their negativity.
Btw, I'm glad that you find my post helpful. It took me years to finally perfect not caring/being anxious about what other people think about me. We are not here to please them on a regular basis anyway right? And for another thing, we can't please everybody after all. Honestly, I'm 10x more worried if my dog has finally worked out how much I detest exercise and is deliberately making fun of me whenever she grabs my stuff and make me chase her all over the house and the front lawn, and secretly wishing I'd stumble in the process. :lol:

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Jessel wrote: Honestly, I'm 10x more worried if my dog has finally worked out how much I detest exercise and is deliberately making fun of me whenever she grabs my stuff and make me chase her all over the house and the front lawn, and secretly wishing I'd stumble in the process. :lol:
I think they always know that we need more exercises!! My dogs keep one making me exercise myself too...the biggest insists on grabbing 'smoothly' my arms with his teeth and run around, jumping everywhere....lol
Signature by Ellen

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:43 am

biancadantas wrote: I think they always know that we need more exercises!! My dogs keep one making me exercise myself too...the biggest insists on grabbing 'smoothly' my arms with his teeth and run around, jumping everywhere....lol
So true, I agree. Haha! :)