Sarah and Friends Tour 2010/11

Check here for concert reviews and tour info
RiverOfLove
Fallen

Re: Sarah and Friends Tour 2010/11

Post by RiverOfLove » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I like Push, but it doesn't compare to Stupid. That's one of my favorite songs.

Now I'm kind of glad I skipped on the date this year. I had a chance to see her live again in Feb, but decided not to.

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Miguel wrote:She had food poisoning on the day of the canceled show
NOT nice!
Still It's a good way to lose weight, but not one I'd recommend.

Hope you've got over it now.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Here's the setlist for the show in Toronto with guest appearances of Greg Keelor, from Blue Rodeo (who sang Dark Angel), and Kevin Fox (who played cello for Angel):
Concert review:
http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment ... 69251.html

Awakenings
Building a Mystery
Loving You is Easy
Stupid
To Feel Love (Butterfly Boucher)
Another White Dash (Butterfly Boucher)
Passenger 24 (Melissa McClelland)
Brake (Melissa McClelland)
Answer
I Will Remember You
Don’t Give Up on Us
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Fallen
World on Fire
INTERMISSION:
Segovia (Melissa McClelland)
Broken One (Melissa McClelland and Luke Doucet)
Emily, Please (Luke Doucet)
I Can’t Make Me (Butterfly Boucher)
A Bitter Song (Butterfly Boucher)
Good Enough
The Path of Thorns (Terms)
Forgiveness
Adia
Hold On
Illusions of Bliss
Sweet Surrender
Possession
ENCORE:
Dark Angel (Greg Keelor)
Angel (featuring cellist Kevin Fox)
Ice Cream
Karine

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:57 am

^ NOW THAT is what every Sarah and Friends show should have been like if it really wanted to live up to its name. She could've asked artists from a specific region or city to join her for a song at least *sigh*
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 pm

No Out Of Tune, which is my favourite from LOI. I never liked Adia, I dislike Forgivenesss, and the awful Loving You Is Easy, and I'm tired of Ice Cream, Hold On, and Angel. Don't Give Up On Us, but no U Want Me 2? I don't like her song selection for these things. It's awful to say, but I don't really care much if she tours Europe, as I have lost enthusiasm. My partner doesn't want to fly long haul any more, but at one time I would have gone solo to see her. Now I would find it hard to even travel to Scotland or Wales. Myabe if she had come to Europe I would have regained some enthusiasm as songs always take on a new life when played live. I'm pleased that some of you fans are getting to see her play live at last. At least she is playing some live dates, but the shows do not inspire me.

Objectively speaking - are these shows anywhere near as good as the Afterglow tour?
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:30 am

TheSquirrel wrote:No Out Of Tune, which is my favourite from LOI. I never liked Adia, I dislike Forgivenesss, and the awful Loving You Is Easy, and I'm tired of Ice Cream, Hold On, and Angel. Don't Give Up On Us, but no U Want Me 2? I don't like her song selection for these things. It's awful to say, but I don't really care much if she tours Europe, as I have lost enthusiasm. My partner doesn't want to fly long haul any more, but at one time I would have gone solo to see her. Now I would find it hard to even travel to Scotland or Wales. Myabe if she had come to Europe I would have regained some enthusiasm as songs always take on a new life when played live. I'm pleased that some of you fans are getting to see her play live at last. At least she is playing some live dates, but the shows do not inspire me.

Objectively speaking - are these shows anywhere near as good as the Afterglow tour?
I truly respect what you have to say and I do look forward to your opinions. But you don't half confuse the hell out of me at times :?

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 am

Quincy wrote:
TheSquirrel wrote:No Out Of Tune, which is my favourite from LOI. I never liked Adia, I dislike Forgivenesss, and the awful Loving You Is Easy, and I'm tired of Ice Cream, Hold On, and Angel. Don't Give Up On Us, but no U Want Me 2? I don't like her song selection for these things. It's awful to say, but I don't really care much if she tours Europe, as I have lost enthusiasm. My partner doesn't want to fly long haul any more, but at one time I would have gone solo to see her. Now I would find it hard to even travel to Scotland or Wales. Myabe if she had come to Europe I would have regained some enthusiasm as songs always take on a new life when played live. I'm pleased that some of you fans are getting to see her play live at last. At least she is playing some live dates, but the shows do not inspire me.

I truly respect what you have to say and I do look forward to your opinions. But you don't half confuse the hell out of me at times :?
Hmmm, maybe I am confused. It's just her song selection. It is only my own personal point of view. There are some of my favourite songs in there, but I have never liked Adia much, and I am tired of hearing Hold On, Ice Cream, and Angel. I know Miguel really likes U Want Me 2, and so do I. It's just personal preference but I dislike the choice of Don't Give Up On Us over U Want me 2. Despite not particularly liking the new album, if I were to see her live I would prefer to hear more new songs, as the old ones have been done to death. If she's going to go for old songs then go for something we haven't heard in ages. There are still some old but truly beautiful and fresh songs she hasn't played in ages. A missed opportunity. It's just the same old songs done to death. Angel Angel Angel - I'm sick of Angel. Okay, just my opinion. The show listing does not sound that great to me, given my own personal preferences. However she does do Awakenings, Illusions Of Bliss, Stupid, World On Fire, and I still love Possession. But that's fans for you. Everyone has a different wish list for songs played. I'd still want to see her live, as she is still my all time favourite song writer, vocalist, and artist, but for us in the UK and Europe there's not that option.

I am also comparing her relative to her own standards. She is still my number one all time favourite, therefore favourite and not so favourite songs are all relative. Some of those songs need a break though. Okay I guess you're still confused. To make matters worse, and even more confusing, I know I am unduly negative at times, probably as a reaction to all the positive and uncritical stuff posted here. Since this is a fan forum for one particular artist, namely Sarah Mclachlan, it should come as no surprise there is more praise than criticism.

Remember that little break in the FTE live concert dvd/video where for a second they show a headline about Sarah Mclachlan being at the cutting edge of music? I know those times are not going to come again, but how I wish she were still at that cutting edge.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 am

TheSquirrel wrote:If she's going to go for old songs then go for something we haven't heard in ages. There are still some old but truly beautiful and fresh songs she hasn't played in ages.
Yeah. Steaming & Black for instance. Those are 2 of the most brilliant tunes she's ever written.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Stormhaven
Building A Mystery

Post by Stormhaven » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 am

If the "Sarah and Friends" group really have been recording the concerts since they started the tour, my guess is that they're switching up the songs because they might already like a cut of the song they've already recorded. Having seen the show back in November in Austin and then again in Chicago last weekend, I can definitely say that the band has gone through some changes as far as their sound is concerned. The Chicago show was much more relaxed and the band was more willing to step into their individual parts (in other words there were actually instrumental solos in Chicago).

I think "Ice Cream" is there to stay because the "audience sings the chorus" trick seems to be a favorite of many musicians. Worked on Afterglow: Live. Adia and Angel... I think there'd be a riot if Angel wasn't sung. It's her "signature song." Adia - I know in Austin there was a very boisterous drunk woman sitting a few rows behind me that just kept screaming for that song through the entire concert... I'm thinking that there's probably a clone of her in every city. Sarah said she wears in-ear monitors while singing so she can't hear the audience well, so I'd be willing to guess that one of her stage hands probably lets her know what "requests" the audience was shouting at a particular city. Repeat it often enough in enough cities, and it probably gets added to another city's show.

The skeptic/realist in me also figures that the "random questions from the audience" are screened (if not just total plants). Through the magic of Youtube, you notice that quite a few of the Q&A's across the various cities are very similar. Also, the "question box" in Chicago was filled to the brim, and yet Sarah's stage hat was barely filled. At many of the most recent shows, many of the questions that are making it to the stage also seem to simply highlight either the band members or Sarah herself. At the Austin concert, one of the first questions was "Can I take a picture with you," and subsequently after the intermission, almost all the questions were "picture/autograph" requests, so I'm glad they filtered those out - but it seems very canned now.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:19 am

Stormhaven wrote:The skeptic/realist in me also figures that the "random questions from the audience" are screened (if not just total plants). Through the magic of Youtube, you notice that quite a few of the Q&A's across the various cities are very similar.
I'm excited to hear (or should that be "read"? lol) Squirrel's opinion on this one haha! Sarah, prepare yourself. :lol:
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...