Shine On tour dates

Check here for concert reviews and tour info
Islandflyer
Drifting

Re: Shine On tour dates

Post by Islandflyer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:45 am

earl wrote:
Islandflyer wrote:So is the VIP-only Meet and Greet a new thing? Or has she done this before? I've seen pictures of her signing autographs; did that mean those people had to pay a couple hundred each for the privilege? I haven't seen an artist at her level of popularity in many years, so I'm kind of surprised? :?
They had them in 2010 for Lilith for $750 ticket, which came with a front row seat and a meet and greet. There was no announced charity component for that, so it seemed to me like a cash grab. In 2012, they had them for the symphony tour, as well as Voices in the Park. Those were around $400/ticket and the proceeds went to Sarah's school.
It sounds like the price has come down, but it's still a big chunk of change. I really have no idea of her popularity now, but it's still pretty high, evidently. I'd do it if I had the dough, if it was going to the school. I don't think I would otherwise. Have you seen her before, Earl?

Ed
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am

That's sad (but it was predictable):
Hi all, I too would like to personally address what happened yesterday with pre-sales- All I wanted to do was create an opportunity for my fans to get tickets first but with letting everyone on Facebook know the code it seems that scalpers got most of them first and I'm very sorry for that and any frustration that it caused. We are evaluating whether or not pre-sales even work anymore as facebook has a much broader reach than any fan club. Again, I was trying to give my fans the first chance and it kinda backfired...understanding the benefits and challenges of the internet is like riding into the wild west-it's a wiley beast to tame(-: I'm sorry and I still hope to see you at my shows. xo Sarah
On StubHub, some tickets are more than 400$. Even if I love Sarah's music, I'd prefer to sit in the last row or to stay at home than to give my money to a dealer. :x
My sister and I worked hard to earn that cash and we're willing to give it to Sarah and her team, not to someone who plans to steal it from us. These people, they do nothing, except making money on fans back.
Anyway, I wonder what Team SM will do with the presale thing.

Any idea or suggestion?

Some people suggested that they should recreate Murmurs and ask fans to pay to registrate and have the presale info. I don't like this idea. It means that you force fans to spend 12$/year. What if I don't have that money and if I'm saving only for the concert? It would mean that I'm "less fan" and that I don't deserve the info about the presale.

Someone suggested that the tickets are not on paper anymore. You would enter in the venue with your ID card. I like this idea: all the people who bought presale tickets (VIP tickets too) could come in when showing their ID and scalpers couldn't sell their tickets back!
Karine

HamsterP

Post by HamsterP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 am

Karine wrote:That's sad (but it was predictable):
Hi all, I too would like to personally address what happened yesterday with pre-sales [...] I'm sorry and I still hope to see you at my shows. xo Sarah
[...]These people, they do nothing, except making money on fans back.
Anyway, I wonder what Team SM will do with the presale thing.

Any idea or suggestion?

Some people suggested that they should recreate Murmurs and ask fans to pay to registrate and have the presale info. I don't like this idea. It means that you force fans to spend 12$/year. [...].

Someone suggested that the tickets are not on paper anymore. You would enter in the venue with your ID card. I like this idea: all the people who bought presale tickets (VIP tickets too) could come in when showing their ID and scalpers couldn't sell their tickets back!
Recreating Murmurs would be a great idea if done with the intentions of recreate an Official Fan Club. Won't solve anything if done with the intentions to ensure fans the possibility to access to the presale.
Why? Because all this IS happening with the US tour of Queen+ Adam Lambert.
I'm a Queen fan, registred to the Italian FC.
The Official International Fan Club, based in London, was giving pre-sale codes to (and only to) registred (paying) members... and they went out on Facebook/eBay as well.
I DO hate profiteer on fans back. Grrr...

Maybe the ID Card suggestion truly is the best one, allowing a single ID not to have more than 2 tickets. I may want to bring a friend/wife/brother with me, not knowing who at the present time.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 am

HamsterP wrote:Recreating Murmurs would be a great idea if done with the intentions of recreate an Official Fan Club. Won't solve anything if done with the intentions to ensure fans the possibility to access to the presale.
Why? Because all this IS happening with the US tour of Queen+ Adam Lambert.
I'm a Queen fan, registred to the Italian FC.
The Official International Fan Club, based in London, was giving pre-sale codes to (and only to) registred (paying) members... and they went out on Facebook/eBay as well.
I DO hate profiteer on fans back. Grrr...

Maybe the ID Card suggestion truly is the best one, allowing a single ID not to have more than 2 tickets. I may want to bring a friend/wife/brother with me, not knowing who at the present time.
It means that some people, maybe fans but probably not, paid to register in the fanclub so they could get the tickets. What is 15$-30$-50$ compared to 500$ or more when you sell tickets on Ebay?! :roll:

The only problem with ID Card is if you want to buy the tickets as a gift for someone else or if you can't come to the show anymore and you want to give your ticket to someone else (or sell it at its normal price to a friend). My sister had tickets for a City & Color concert and she couldn't go: one of her friend was interested and bought them. With that ID thing, he would have been blocked at the doors.
... or you do like plane or train tickets: if you can't use them, too bad for you!
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:32 pm

By the way, I was reading about scalpers and I found that they use bots so they can get a huge number of tickets at the same time.
That explains why there are more than 400 tickets for Sarah's concert at the Greek Theater Berkeley performance on Stubhub: "Pit right, row #5" is 625$. :x
http://www.stubhub.com/sarah-mclachlan- ... 4-8997988/
This article explains how it all worked: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... ingle.html
What can fans do against bots?
Karine

HamsterP

Post by HamsterP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Karine wrote:By the way, I was reading about scalpers and I found that they use bots so they can get a huge number of tickets at the same time.
That explains why there are more than 400 tickets for Sarah's concert at the Greek Theater Berkeley performance on Stubhub: "Pit right, row #5" is 625$. :x
http://www.stubhub.com/sarah-mclachlan- ... 4-8997988/
This article explains how it all worked: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... ingle.html
What can fans do against bots?
Thanks for the links, Karine. I didn't realized situation was so dramatic!!! "[...] the show had sold out within seconds [...]".
There's so little fans can do to fight scalpers other that refuse to buy the tickets at that prices. :(
This is something that should be managed by official sellers AND the artist herself.
I'm pretty sure neither the official channel, neither Sarah (or other artists) are happy to see the tickets sold at such high prices making others rich.
There's no easy way out.
I can tell for istance what happened for the Kerry Ellis & Brian May Candlelight 2013 Tour in Italy.
The Italian Fan Club managed to get some hundreds of tickets for each venue directly from the promoter and those were then sent to fans who preordered (and prepaid) them.
But it was an hell of a work run from a few FC volounteers and we talked about some hundreds, not thousands!

Still thinking about the "perfect solution" if ever exists....

HamsterP

Post by HamsterP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Karine wrote:What can fans do against bots?
mhh.... what if it turns into an ID buying ticket by Mr. AAAA, which leads to a paperless ticket with a code Mr. AAAA can transfer to Mr. BBBB within 2 days from the concert date through a dedicated web service which leads to a final ID paperless ticket for Mr. BBBB?
If Mr. BBBB can't use it, then too bad for him.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:52 pm

The suggestion you wrote, Mr AAAA to Mr BBBB doesn't really solve the problem, because you could still sell the ticket to someone else, at a higher price, and just change the name associated with it. As long as you do it before the time limit, it's fine. In an ideal world, it would be a good idea: when my sister sold her tickets to her friend, at the same price she bought them, she could have changed the name. But, if it works for my honest sister, it also works for evil scalpers.

As long as there will be desperate fans who are ready to give their money to these guys -behind bots there are humans who make a lot of cash just by sitting on a chair looking at their computer-, then it will be hard to change the system.
There are many ways to try to avoid this problem (I'm writing "try" on purpose, because I don't know if it would work), but it would be more complicated.
For example, you could ask fans to provived a valid email address, so they would receive an individual computer- generated code that allows them to buy 2-4 tickets maximum. That would be possible only if the original seller website (Ticketmaster for example) allowed that kind of procedure.

It could also be a lotery: those who are interested by front rows tickets would fill a form (valid email address, valid postal address, valid phone number) and in the morning of the sale, the winners would receive their individual code to buy tickets. You could have, for example, 1 hour to use it and after that, your code is cancelled. During presales, tickets are sold out in less time than that. It would be a real bad luck if the winners were all scalpers!

None of these suggestions is perfect. The best thing would be to leave the scalpers with their tickets. That would teach them a lesson, at least for Sarah's tour.
Edit: on website like Ticketmaster, instead of a captcha, easily bypassed by bots, it could be a real question and the answer would be given by Sarah (or a clue to find it).
Anyway... :roll:
Karine

HamsterP

Post by HamsterP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Karine wrote:The suggestion you wrote [...] if it works for my honest sister, it also works for evil scalpers.
Indeed, I'm too honest to think like an evil guy. :p
Karine wrote:There are many ways to try to avoid this problem [...] you could ask fans to provived a valid email address, so they would receive an individual computer- generated code that allows them to buy 2-4 tickets maximum. That would be possible only if the original seller website (Ticketmaster for example) allowed that kind of procedure.
This could not be the perfect solution, but it would be a very good one.

Karine wrote:The best thing would be to leave the scalpers with their tickets. That would teach them a lesson, at least for Sarah's tour.
You just made me imagine an empty sold-out venue. O__O Dreadful.

Karine wrote:On website like Ticketmaster, instead of a captcha, easily bypassed by bots, it could be a real question and the answer would be given by Sarah (or a clue to find it).
You do have good suggestions. :)
Complicated, but if they want to meet fans needs there must be some degree of complication in the process.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Or as we agreed earlier: ID card required for any presale purchase and no ID for regular sales. That would be quite the easiest way (unless scalpers bots get all regular sales).
Damned scalpers! :evil:
Karine